By Alan K. Lathrop
Read or Download Churches of Minnesota: An Illustrated Guide PDF
Best nonfiction_3 books
A accomplished background of kid care coverage and perform within the united states from the colonial interval to the current. It attracts on quite a number archival fabric to illustrate why the present baby care process advanced because it has and areas its background inside of a extensive comparative context.
- [Magazine] Scientific American. Vol. 275. No 4
- The Alienation of Reason
- Amino Acids, Peptides and Proteins (SPR Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins (RSC)) (Vol 36)
- Tales of the Otori, Book 03, Brilliance of the Moon
- Macedonia and the Macedonians (Hoover Institution Press Publication No. 561)
- 101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions,Sixth Revised Edition
Extra info for Churches of Minnesota: An Illustrated Guide
Buff Platteville limestone was quarried from the Bremer family farm north of Cannon Falls and hauled to the site. Bishop Henry Whipple laid the cornerstone on June 28 and returned on May i, 1867, to consecrate the church. The entire cost, including land and furnishings, was about $3,500. The exterior of this small building remains almost intact. Four Gothic-arched windows line each side wall, and a small wooden bell tower rises from the front of the roof. A limestone addition at the rear that provides entrance to the basement was built when a furnace was installed.
Only the statue was salvaged. Bishop Peter Bartholome of the Diocese of St. Cloud rebuilt the chapel in 1951 and named it Assumption Chapel. The new structure is as much a monument to the local granite industry as to the grasshopper plague. It is built of pink-gray granite and roofed with red shingles. Engaged buttresses divide the walls into three bays. Over the entrance is a relief of Mary with two grasshoppers kneeling at her feet as if in humble submission to her power. Inside, the ceiling is redwood, the walls polished agate and carnelian.
The parish was served from Clontarf until 1898, then attached to Benson until 1915, when the first resident priest was assigned. 29 De Graff (Swift County) Church of St. Bridget 501 Third Street South Edward J. Donohue, St. Paul, architect 1901 National Register of Historic Places T HE CHURCH OF ST. BRIDGET was another of the parishes founded in the late nine- teenth century by Bishop John Ireland of St. Paul as part of an ambitious program to move large numbers of Irish Catholic settlers onto lands in Swift and adjacent western counties that he had purchased for the church.